- What is a family mission statement?
- Why create a family mission statement?
- How to create a family mission statement
- Examples of family mission statements
- Tips for living your family mission statement
The family unit is the foundation of society. Creating a family mission statement is a powerful way to bring family members together and build a legacy that will be passed down through generations. In this blog post, we’ll explore the benefits of a family mission statement, how to create one, and provide tips for living your family mission statement.
What Is a Family Mission Statement?
“A family mission statement is a combined, unified expression from all family members of what your family is all about — what it is you really want to do and be — and the principles you choose to govern your family life.” -Stephen Covey
May our first word be adventure and our last word be love.
We live lives of passion.
We dream undreamable dreams.
We are travelers not tourists.
We help others to fly.
We love to learn.
We don’t like dilemmas, we like solutions.
We push through. We believe!
We know it’s okay to make mistakes.
We bring people together.
We are joy, rapture, yay!
Why Create a Family Mission Statement?
A family mission statement can have many benefits. It can help guide decision making, foster a sense of unity among family members, and create a shared sense of purpose. When faced with difficult decisions, a family mission statement can serve as a guiding light, helping to ensure that everyone is on the same page.
How to Create a Family Mission Statement
Creating a family mission statement is a collaborative process. It’s important to involve all family members in the process and ensure that everyone has a voice. Here are some steps you can follow to create a family mission statement:
- Brainstorm a list of values that are important to your family
- Determine what your family’s purpose is
- Write a statement that reflects your family’s values and purpose
- Edit and refine the statement until it accurately reflects your family’s vision
Examples of Family Mission Statements
Looking at examples of other family mission statements can be a great source of inspiration. It can help you see what elements are common in successful mission statements and provide you with ideas for your own. Here are some examples of real-life family mission statements:
- “To create a loving, joyful, and healthy home where everyone is valued and respected.”
- “To build a family that makes a positive difference in the world.”
- “To lead a life of kindness, compassion, and service to others.”
Tips for Living Your Family Mission Statement
Once you have created your family mission statement, it’s important to live it every day. Here are some tips for incorporating your mission statement into your daily life:
- Post your mission statement in a prominent place where everyone can see it
- Discuss how you are upholding the family values during family meetings
- Use the mission statement to guide decision-making
- Hold each other accountable for upholding the family values
- Revisit and update the mission statement as needed
Family Mission Statement Template
Here is a template for creating a family mission statement that includes values, beliefs, and goals:
“Our family’s mission is to [insert your family’s purpose or goal] by upholding the following values and beliefs: [list the values and beliefs that are most important to your family]. We are committed to [insert specific actions or behaviors that will help you live out your mission statement] in order to achieve our goal of [insert your family’s desired outcome or vision].”
“Our family’s mission is to create a loving and supportive home where we can grow and thrive as individuals and as a family by upholding the following values and beliefs: honesty, kindness, respect, hard work, and lifelong learning. We are committed to communicating openly, listening to each other, and making time for family fun and adventure in order to achieve our goal of building a strong and happy family that is empowered to achieve our individual and collective dreams.”
In conclusion, crafting a family mission statement is a powerful tool for bringing family members together and creating a shared sense of purpose. By involving all family members in the process and living your mission statement every day, you can build a strong, united family that is focused on a common goal. Use the examples provided as inspiration to create your own mission statement that accurately reflects your family’s values and purpose, and start building a legacy that will be passed down through generations.